Simply put, depression is a bitch and it affects millions of people worldwide. Not only is depression often difficult to recognize in its early stages, but it often goes untreated in even its late stages as many don’t want to take prescription antidepressants, that can make people feel like they’re not themselves and comes with side effects like depression and suicide (strange, we know). But pharmaceuticals are not the only option–and for many, nor are they the best option.
Luckily there are some great natural antidepressants, so we boiled it down to the best homeopathic remedies for depression to give you insights on the options that are available–no chemicals, scary side effects or prescriptions necessary.
Here are the best natural remedies for depression that are available OTC:
- Ignatia Amara: Overall best homeopathic depression remedy.
- Natrum Mur: Best for mild long-term depression with anxiety about the past.
- Aurum Met: Best for severe depression with suicidal thoughts.
- Sepia: Best for those who have lost interest in the things they once enjoyed.
- Kali Phos: Best for depression with anxiety about the future and insomnia.
Best Natural Antidepressants Available OTC
Here’s a detailed look at the best homeopathic depression supplements available without a prescription.
1. Ignatia Amara: Overall Best Homeopathic Depression Remedy
Ignatia Amara is generally the first line of defense when it comes to homeopathic depression remedies and supplements, and therefore it is the most common natural remedy for treating depression.
Ignatia Amara is considered a good option for:
- People who have recently become depressed
- People whose depression presents with a desire to be alone and/or to avoid meeting people
- People who are consumed by grief
- People who have an intense feeling of hopelessness
- People whose depression is stress-related
- People who are easily offended or overly sensitive
- People who have rapid mood swings
Amazon: 4.6 out of 5-stars from over 2,000 reviews, $9.38 (Buy now)
2. Natrum Mur: Best For Mild Long-Term Depression
For those battling long-term or chronic depression, Natrum Mur is widely regarded as the go-to bet thanks to its ability to help people suffering from chronic depression to come out of depression. This form of depression typically persists for months, if not years and involves dwelling on the past, replaying negative events or memories, intense sadness and in some cases, frequent bouts of crying. Interestingly, it’s a versatile homeopathic supplement that is also used to treat colds and allergies, making it a handy supplement to have on hand.
Natrum Mur is considered a good option for:
- Those who are grief-stricken from events that happens a long time ago
- Those who prefer to be isolated and lonely
- Those who tend to keep their feelings hidden away from others
- Those who do not like attention or consolation from others
Amazon: 4.6 out of 5-stars from over 600 reviews, $7.59 (Buy now)
3. Aurum Met: Best For Severe Depression
Aurum Met is used in homeopathic medicine for treating patients with severe depression where suicidal thoughts present. This might make it sound as though it’s worth its weight in gold, it is actually made from gold and can be used to reduce irritability, intolerances, and even severe depression in some patients. Granted, in the case of severe depression with suicidal thoughts, it’s always best to consult with a professional for the most appropriate treatment and the best results.
Aurum Met is considered a good option for:
- Those who may have suicidal thoughts
- Those who feel a deeply profound sense of hopelessness
- Those who have a strong sense of worthlessness
- Those who are generally “tired” of life or living
- Those who feel as though they are a burden to others
- Those who get agitated easily
Amazon: 4.5 out of 5-stars, $9.67 (Buy now)
4. Sepia: Best For Those Who Have Lost Interest in Doing Things They Enjoy
Sepia is regarded as the best natural antidepressant for people whose depression is presenting a lack of interest in the things the person once enjoyed. For example, this can be a general disinterest in long-time passions and hobbies, relationships or friendships. Those who are good candidates for Sepia may seem to have an indifferent attitude towards the people in their lives–including those that they care about.
Sepia is considered a good natural antidepressant for:
- People who have lost interest in doing things they love
- People who seem indifferent to friends and family members
- People who have a gloomy outlook
- Women experiencing menopause-related depression
- Women experiencing post-pregnancy depression
Amazon: 4.5 out of 5-stars, $9.38 (Buy now)
5. Kali Phos: Best For Depression With Insomnia and Anxiety
Kali Phos is regarded as the best homeopathic depression remedy for those who have depression alongside insomnia and anxiety. Those with depression and difficulty sleeping generally find that Kali Phos is a helpful supplement–particularly for those whose stress is related to the overuse of mental energy. For example, those with very stressful and mentally strenuous careers.
Kali Phos is a good natural depression remedy for:
- People with depression who struggle to fall asleep and/or stay asleep
- People whose depression is anxiety-induced
- People who have highly stressful careers that feel drained and depressed from using a great deal of mental energy
- People who are so mentally overworked that they are physically weak
- People whose anxiety is not centered around dwelling on past events, but on the future
Amazon: 4.6 out of 5-stars, $11.72 (Buy now)
Best Homeopathic Remedies For Depression [Compared]
|Supplement||Best For||Where to Buy|
|Ignatia Amara||Best overall natural remedy for mild depression|
Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)
|Natrum Mur||Chronic depression |
Those who have anxiety due to past events
|Aurum Met||Severe depression with suicidal thoughts |
Those who are severely irritable
|Sepia||Those whose depression makes them indifferent|
Menopause-induced depression Postpartum depression
|Kali Phos||Stress-related depression |
Those who have depression and Insomnia
Those who have anxiety about the future
Note that Amazon is of course not the only place you can find these natural antidepressants. If you have a favorite homeopathic online or local store try them. We list Amazon because we know it’s available nationwide, giving everyone access to it–regardless of which stores are near them.
Benefits of Natural Antidepressant Supplements
There are a number of reasons why millions look to natural depression remedies before prescription pharmaceuticals. For example, homeopathic remedies are affordable, available without a prescription, and for some equally as effective. However, natural antidepressants do not make people feel as though they are “not themselves” as many prescription antidepressants do, nor do they cause organ damage, sedation, or other dangerous side effects.
Here are the leading reasons people choose homeopathic remedies for depression:
- Long-term use does not damage organs
- Does not cause sedation like some prescription antidepressants
- Does not cause people to feel as though they’re “not themselves”
- Generally considered much safer than prescription drugs
Learn more about the benefits of homeopathic medicine.
Natural antidepressants are a good first line of defense to try if you’re looking for a homeopathic alternative to chemical-based prescription drugs. While each of the five best homeopathic supplements for depression will work differently for everyone if you’re not sure which to choose consider trying Ignatia Amara. It’s the first choice amongst many naturopathic doctors for patients who feel like they need a holistic pick-me-up.
Disclaimer: The information provided on the site is for educational purposes only, and does not substitute for professional medical advice. Always consult a medical professional or healthcare provider for medical advice, diagnoses, or treatment.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Depression can present in a variety of ways and varies from person to person, making it difficult to understand and identify. Generally, signs of depression include anything from general low mood and heightened anxiety, loss of interest or pleasure in things, difficulty concentrating, difficulty sleeping (or excessive sleeping), becoming more irritable and angry to bouts of crying and suicidal thoughts.
Homeopathic medicine has been curing depression for centuries. However, the key is to find the homeopathic treatment that works for you. Much like prescription antidepressants, it can take a bit of trial and error to not only find which treatment works best for you, but which dosage of the best treatment works best for you. If you find yourself struggling to improve after trying the different homeopathic supplements, consult with your doctor.
Insomnia or difficulty falling asleep and/or staying asleep is a common symptom of depression, or in some cases, a comorbidity. In many instances, by treating depression, the patient’s sleep improves. However, if this is not your experience, homeopathic remedies to consider are Coffea Cruda and/or Kali Phos.
The best natural supplements for menopause-related depression are generally Sepia and Lachesis.